Telecommunications Access Program (TAP), Kansas

Address: 4848 SW 21st Street,, Suite 201
Topeka,, KS 66604-4415
Phone: (785) 234-0200 Email: Website:

What is TAP?
The Kansas Telecommunications Access Program (TAP) is a telecommunications equipment distribution program. The program is funded pursuant to state law through the Kansas Universal Service Fund (KUSF) and is regulated by the Kansas Corporation Commission (KCC). The purpose of TAP is to provide specialized equipment to Kansans with disabilities or impairments in order to access basic home telecommunication services.

Who can Apply?
Individuals who have a hearing, vision, speech, cognitive or mobility disability or impairment, or a combination of these disabilities/impairments can apply and receive equipment if the following eligibility requirements are met:
Have residency in the state of Kansas
Have telephone service in the home/residence
Have a disability or impairment in which a specialized telephone would be more helpful
Have a household gross income of less than $55,000 per year ($3,000 may be added for each dependent claimed).

How to Apply:
To apply for equipment, complete a TAP application, have a licensed professional complete the Disability Certification section and mail the application back to the TAP office. TAP requires the “Disability Certification” section on the application to be completed by one of the following licensed professionals:
Speech Pathologist
Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor.
Professionals such as hearing aid specialists, physician assistants, nurse practitioners, social workers and case managers are not recognized as qualified disability certifiers for TAP and therefore are not able to sign the application.

Equipment Available:

TAP is now offering Personal Digital Assistant (PDA) Equipment! If you choose to receive a PDA, you cannot receive a telephone. If you wish to receive a telephone, please use the equipment application.

Help at Hand Emergency Telephone Dialer – This device is designed to help in the event of an emergency and will automatically dial a pre-programmed telephone number and send a pre-recorded message to the person you choose to let them know you need assistance. A small wireless pendant, which can be carried in your pocket or worn around your neck, signals for help from anywhere in your home.

Hands-Free Telephone – This telephone is for people who have limited use of their hands or have mobility limitations. It comes with remote control and / or voice activation capabilities. This telephone accepts a variety of assistive accessories such as such as an air switch, sip and puff, pillow switch and lapel microphone or headset.

Large Number Amplified Telephone – This telephone has a built-in volume control that makes incoming sounds louder. The large number keypad makes reading and dialing numbers easier. This telephone also comes with tone and frequency adjustments and loud ringer.

Loud Bell Ringer – This signaling device increases the volume of the ring on the telephone.

In-Line Voice Dialer – This piece of equipment connects to a telephone and is activated by voice recognition. Simply speak one of the pre-programmed names and the number is automatically dialed.

Dialogue VCO – This telephone is for people with severe hearing loss or who are deaf but still wish to speak using their own voice. Simply speak into the handset and read the responses on the built-in display screen. Easy to use and no typing is required. Voice carry over (VCO) calls must be placed through a toll-free relay service, such as the Kansas Relay Center (KRC).

Light Flasher / Visual Signaler – This signaling device notifies a person their telephone is ringing by translating the telephone ring into a flashing light.

Amplified Cordless Telephone – This cordless telephone amplifies incoming sounds and voices for extra loud and clear conversations. There is also an adjustable tone control to optimize the clarity of the conversation.

VCO & HCO Telephone – The Voice Carry Over (VCO) or Hearing Carry Over (HCO) telephone combines voice and text communications. It is used by people who cannot hear well, but who wish to speak using their own voice, and by people who cannot speak, but wish to hear others over the Telephone. Those who cannot hear can read what others are saying through a text display. Those who cannot speak can use the typewriter keyboard to respond to what they hear.

Photo Button Telephone – This telephone is for people who have difficulty dialing, remembering numbers, or have limited cognitive abilities. The photo buttons allow the user to insert pictures to represent the number being dialed. The user just presses the picture button and the pre-programmed number is dialed automatically.

Large Number Telephone with Braille – This telephone is for people who are visually impaired or blind. It has a keypad with large Braille numbers for easier dialing and a digital voice feature that vocalizes each number when dialed. Knowledge of Braille is not required in order to operate this telephone.

Teletypewriter (TTY) – This specialized text telephone enables people who are deaf, hard of hearing or speech impaired to use the telephone by typing messages and reading the responses from the display terminal. In order to communicate directly, a TTY is required by both parties or the hearing party can place a call via the Kansas Relay Center (KRC) by dialing 7-1-1. (A Braille TTY is also available for the deaf – blind.)

CapTel (Captioned Telephone) – This telephone is ideal for people with some degree of hearing loss and works like any other telephone with one important addition: captions are displayed live on the phone's built-in screen so the user can read the words while listening to the voice of the other party. If the user has difficulty hearing what the caller says, the captions can be read for clarification.

TAP does not provide:
Hearing Aids
Doorbell Signalers
Baby-cry Signaling Equipment
TTY Paper and / or Dust Covers
Alarm clocks
Smoke Detectors

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I receive my equipment?
There are two ways to receive your equipment. TAP staff can order the equipment for you and have it shipped directly to your home, or you will receive a voucher(s) in the mail and you are responsible for obtaining your equipment from a TAP approved vendor.

Who owns the equipment after I receive it?
You do! The equipment received from TAP is yours to keep. However, you are fully responsible for any service or repairs beyond those covered by the manufacturer's warranty and the Kansas Assistive Device "Lemon Law".

How often can I receive equipment from TAP?
You can apply for new equipment every four years. However, you may reapply at any time if your disability/impairment changes and different equipment is necessary. A statement from your certifying authority is required with your re-application.


Please visit our website or Contact us for more information:

(785) 234-0207 (TTY)


Was Your Child's CP Preventable?