Medical Review Board
Giles H. Manley, M.D., J.D., F.A.C.O.G.
CPFN Medical Advisor | Board-Certified OBGYN | Medical Malpractice Attorney
- Board-certified OBGYN, 20+ years
- Former Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group
Dr. Manley brings to the CPFN Medical Review Board more than 20 years’ experience in the medical profession. As a board-certified OBGYN with well over 2,000 deliveries, he is extremely knowledgeable in all areas of obstetrics. His specialty training was at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center (GBMC), which included a four-month rotation of high-risk obstetrics at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Following successful completion of his residency, he served as a faculty instructor at GBMC, while also maintaining a private practice. In 1996, he left this practice to become the Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology in Baltimore for the Mid-Atlantic Permanente Medical Group (the physician group of Kaiser Permanente). While continuing to serve as OBGYN Chief, in 2002, he also took on the role of Area Medical Director.
In addition to his extensive obstetrical experience, Dr. Manley had a particular interest in gynecologic surgery. His specialty was in minimally invasive procedures. He was the first person at GBMC to perform a laparoscopic supra cervical hysterectomy, and the first to perform incontinence surgery utilizing a tension-free vaginal tape. Both procedures allowed the patient to return home on the day of surgery, followed by a brief recovery period. He has lectured to fellow physicians nationwide about these innovative techniques.
Throughout his medical career, Dr. Manley has served on a number of committees including: the Obstetrical Advisory Committee at GBMC, the Gynecology Advisory Committee at GBMC, and the Obstetrical Quality Review Committee at Kaiser, among others. He is a fellow of the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology as well as the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Dr. Manley has extensive medical-legal experience and has served as an expert witness. He has testified many times in both depositions and trials. He has done this both from a plaintiff’s and defense perspective.
Having witnessed substandard medical care first-hand, Dr. Manley decided to become a plaintiffs’ medical malpractice attorney. He was confident he could use his medical expertise to benefit severely injured patients and their families. While he handles a wide range of malpractice claims, a substantial portion of his time is devoted to representing families whose children develop cerebral palsy from preventable birth injuries.
EDUCATION and TRAINING
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D. – 2005 (magna cum laude), Heuisler Honor Society
- Greater Baltimore Medical Center – Residency, Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1986 – 1990
- University of Maryland School of Medicine, M.D. – 1986
- Towson State University, B.S. – 1981 (cum laude)
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- General Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Howard Janet and Giles Manley, “Knowledge is Power,” Cerebral Palsy Magazine, Dec., 2005 vol. 3 issue 4
- Giles Manley, “Inside the Brachial Plexus Injury Case,” Trial for AAJ, May, 2007 p.52
- Howard Janet and Giles Manley, Patients’ Rights and Doctors’ Wrongs — Secrets to a Safer Pregnancy and Childbirth, paperback and e-book, March, 2016
CERTIFICATIONS and LICENSURE
- MD State Medical License 1987 – 2021
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology – certified 1992, recertified 2003-present