Search below to find a hospital, doctor, therapy, and more
Better Hearing Institute (BHI)
The Better Hearing Institute (BHI) is a not-for-profit corporation that educates the public about the neglected problem of hearing loss and what can be done about it. Founded in 1973, we are working to:
Erase the stigma and end the embarrassment that prevents millions of people from seeking help for hearing loss.
Show the negative consequences of untreated hearing loss for millions of Americans.
Promote treatment and demonstrate that this is a national problem that can be solved.
To achieve these objectives, we:
- Use the media, our web site and other communications forums to give the facts about hearing loss and promote better hearing. For example, thanks to BHI, nearly 60 Hollywood celebrities, sports personalities, business leaders and other noteworthy Americans have come forward to share their stories about hearing loss and how they have addressed it (Check out Celebrity Circle in this web site). Since 1973, BHI public service announcements have appeared in many key print publications (e.g. Newsweek, Time, Fortune, JAMA) and on all major television networks.
- Produce and disseminate educational materials (Request Hearing Loss Guides).
- Do authoritative research on the incidence of hearing loss, the benefits of treatment, the consequences of ignoring it and related topics.
- Operate a call center for consumers who have questions about hearing loss. (Call 1-800-EARWELL.)
- Reach out to health professionals through our Continuing Medical Education program, in order to help physicians better recognize the signs of hearing loss and work with patients to find solutions.
We believe this nation needs to stop treating hearing loss as a minor problem. Research shows that this condition, when left untreated, reduces earning power, disrupts family life and causes a wide range of psychological problems. The good news is that, these days, effective solutions for hearing loss are available for people of all ages. As digital and programmable technologies have revolutionized the world of medical devices, we have seen the dramatic benefits that hearing aids now provide to the hard-of-hearing.
Whether you are a person with hearing loss, care about a loved one with a hearing loss or are a medical professional, BHI invites you to spend time on our website, learning more about hearing loss and its treatment.
Sergei Kochkin, Ph.D. – Executive Director
Better Hearing Institute (Suite 104)
790 Frontage Road
Northfield, IL 60093