Search below to find a hospital, doctor, therapy, and more
The Arc of Buncombe County
The Arc of Buncombe County serves people with intellectual and developmental disabilities and their families throughout Asheville, Buncombe County and Henderson County through our Advocacy, Augmented Case Management, Assistance to Individuals, and Social Enrichment programs.
The Arc’s clients have all been diagnosed as having mild, moderate, or profound intellectual disabilities. The majority of clients suffer from Down Syndrome, Autism, Prader-Willi Syndrome, Chromosome Disorder, Angelman Syndrome, and/or Rett Syndrome. Our ultimate goal is to support people at all levels of ability in ways that will increase their independence and improve their quality of life.
Specific ways we serve:
– We provide up-to-date information and referrals to programs and services through our Augmented Case Management program. Here we connect people with help available in our community, such as housing and food support, vocational training, targeted case management, educational supports, and child care.
– We provide a specialist to work with individuals and families as an advocate to navigate through the difficult school IEP (Individualized Education Program) process and through the medical field.
– We lobby for legislation effecting people with special needs on the local, state, and national level.
– We provide direct financial assistance to clients and their families through the Assistance to Individuals program to help with emergency housing and utility bills, prescription medicines, adaptive equipment, and other needs as they arise.
– Finally, we seek to build and nurture individuals’ social confidence and abilities through our Social Enrichment activities including dances, family picnics, and our Operation Santa program.
Through our service programs The Arc of Buncombe County works to meet the challenge of building a more creative, integrative and supportive community for all persons with intellectual and developmental disabilities.