Individuals who suffer from CP often require specialized, on-going care and expensive equipment, which places a significant burden on their family and loved ones. We recognize this heavy financial burden and we want to help. We have compiled a detailed list of resources that provide financial relief to individuals with CP or other disorders/disabilities.

The resources we’ve compiled range from government benefits to non-profit organizations, grants and legal compensation in the event that medical malpractice took place. Although these resources may not be applicable to everyone, we encourage you to look through the list below and pursue those that are available to your or your loved one.

Government benefits programs include:

Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

The Children’s Health Insurance Program provides children with health care coverage through Medicaid as well as other CHIP programs. The health care is low in cost, ensuring that families will not have to pay more than 5 percent of their annual income. The following CHIP services and benefits are available across the nation, in every state:

  • Medications
  • Doctor Visits
  • Immunizations
  • Emergency Services
  • Inpatient and Outpatient hospital care
  • Laboratory and X-Ray services
  • Routine Check-Ups

Learn more here.

Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)

The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act guarantees certain educational benefits to children with disabilities. The act is separated by age, granting certain rights to children of specific age groups. Children ages 2 and younger are eligible to receive early intervention services, and children ages 3-21 are provided special education resources to help their CP child gain an effective and supportive education.

Learn more here.


Medicaid offers an affordable health care program to families who receive a low annual income. Those who qualify for Medicaid must:

  • Live in the state that they are applying for assistance
  • Meet all state requirements regarding income, assets, marital status and age
  • Be a U.S citizen or legal resident
  • Be within or below federal poverty guidelines

Learn more here.

Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)

Social Security Disability Insurance provides a monthly income for individuals who are unable to work due to their disability. Although Cerebral Palsy is a life-long disability, many of those who are diagnosed can lead productive work lives without long-term assistance. The benefits of SSDI may be temporary or permanent depending on the severity of the individual’s disability. The qualifications required for receiving SSDI include:

  • Disorder Prevents Substantial Gainful Activity
  • Condition is expected to last at least one year
  • Social Security payments have previously been made by applicant or guardian within the past 10 years

Learn more here.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

Supplemental Security Income provides a monthly check to individuals with a serious disability, such as CP. The SSI is reserved for families who receive a low annual income, and allows the Government to pay for fundamental needs such as clothing or meals. In order to be eligible for SSI, applicants must:

  • Be a U.S Citizen
  • Demonstrate physical or cognitive limitations
  • Have limited financial resources
  • Expect disability to last at least 1 year or longer

Learn more here.

Non-profit organizations:

Variety – The Children’s Charity – Freedom Program

Variety, The Children’s Charity is dedicated to providing necessary equipment for children with CP. The funds collected by the charity are used to purchase:

  • Service Animals
  • Wheelchairs
  • Adaptive Bicycles
  • Walkers/standing aids/ positioning systems
  • Vehicle Modifications

Variety provides fundamental equipment, and dedicated coaches to help enhance a CP child’s mobility, social skills, and independence.

Learn more here.

UnitedHealthcare Children’s Foundation

The UnitedHealthcare Children’s Foundation is invested in providing CP families with the necessary health services they require. The foundation financially takes care of all services that are not covered by the family’s current insurance plan. They also award grants up to $5,000 annually, per child affected. (Applicants do not need to be United Healthcare subscribers to qualify for grant.)

Learn more here.

Grants & Special Programs

Children’s Hemiplegia and Stroke Association (CHASA) – Orthotic Grants

CHASA is committed to providing a vast variety of resources for families affected by hemiplegia. The Children’s Hemiplegia and Stroke Association award grants to pay for necessary orthotic braces not covered by an individual’s normal health benefits. CHASA also awards scholarships to children living with hemiplegia to help support their educational endeavors.

Learn more here.

#MyWish Fund

Janet, Janet & Suggs, LLC, an award-winning national personal injury law firm dedicated to uncovering wrongdoing and fighting for justice, created the #MyWish Fund to support families living with CP. The objective of the Fund is to alleviate a small part of the financial burden caused by CP and improve the lives of families impacted by CP. In order to be considered for a wish, families shared their CP story and described how granting the wish would improve their life or the life of their loved one. Over 250 entries were submitted around the country, with 43 families be granted their wish.

“The financial, emotional and physical toll of caring for a child with CP can be overwhelming. We believe that small acts of kindness – like granting a wish – can have massive impacts for families living with CP, which is why we created the #MyWish Fund,” said Howard A. Janet, Esq., Managing Principal at JJS. “It is our hope that granting these wishes will bring some relief and joy to those families affected by CP.”

The #MyWish Fund occurs annually. Find out more information and when the #MyWish Fund reopens here.


Many are unaware that CP can be caused by the medical negligence of doctors and hospital staff. The result of these preventable medical errors is a life-altering verdict: the bright future of health and possibility for a child is forever changed by a severe disorder. This new future is accompanied by overwhelming medical expenses and financial challenges that often last the lifetime of the child with CP. The most disheartening fact is it could have been prevented.

Over 28,000 babies suffer preventable birth injuries which lead to life-altering consequences, including CP. If your child has CP, you owe it to him/her to find out what went wrong and what caused it. A birth injury or medical malpractice mistake may have led to your child’s CP diagnosis, and you deserve to know the truth.

Your child’s medical records contain the facts about what happened during the birth and delivery process and often disclose the cause of your child’s CP. Medical records can be difficult to understand and, at times, hospitals have hidden the records or covered up the truth due to medical negligence. If you are wondering what caused your child’s CP, the best course of action is to talk with a medical and legal team. They will assess whether medical malpractice may have been the caused, and will then help you access and understand the records. Regardless of what they find within the records, you will have peace of mind knowing the truth behind your child’s CP. Check your records as soon as possible.

What Types of Compensation Can a Lawyer Help Me Get?

Due to the help of our legal advocates, Janet, Janet & Suggs, LLC (JJS), thousands of CP and CPFN families have received hundreds of millions in compensation for:

  • Medical expenses
  • Reimbursement for home accommodations
  • Physical pain and emotional suffering
  • Lost wages (if applicable)
  • Special education costs
  • Counseling
  • Rehabilitation and therapy
  • Assistive equipment

For more than 30 years, the award-winning birth lawyers and medical professionals at JJS have worked to uncover medical errors and fight for the justice birth injury victims deserve. JJS has won record-breaking verdicts and negotiated record-breaking settlements across the country. These funds allow families living with CP to provide their loved one with the medical treatments, on-going care and support necessary to live the best possible life. Click here for a list of verdicts and settlements, as well as testimonials from CP families who were helped by JJS.

If you are wondering what caused your child’s CP or feel uneasy about your delivery, you may deserve financial compensation. We know how heavy the financial burden can be and we want to ensure you get the financial support you deserve. Fill out the short form below to get a second opinion of what caused your child’s CP from CPFN’s legal advocates.

Help Me Find Out What Went Wrong

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Do You Have A Financial Resource?

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Do you need CP help?