what is malpractice and did it cause my child's CP?
Description of Medical Malpractice
Medical Malpractice is any negligent act or omission of proper treatment performed by a health care professional that causes harm to a patient. Whether it is a misdiagnosis, hospital or medical error, medical malpractice can be committed by any party in the medical field, even your doctor. In most cases, patients are entirely unaware that medical malpractice occurred and are never informed of negligence.
Regardless of your relationship and experience with your doctor and the hospital staff, it is important to be aware of possible signs indicating medical mistakes. If you feel uneasy about your birthing process, or feel unsure your doctor/nurse made the right call, medical negligence may have been at play. See the list below of possible medical mistakes that can result in a birth injury, causing cerebral palsy.
Medical Mistakes and Birth Injuries That Cause CP
Below are listed medical mistakes that can cause CP:
- Failure to diagnose and respond to a baby’s airway obstructions
- Mismanagement of labor and delivery
- Lack of oxygen or blood to the brain (HIE & brain asphyxia)
- Brachial Plexus (Erb’s Palsy or Brachial Plexus Palsy) & Shoulder Dystocia
- Spinal cord injuries and autonomic dysreflexia (SCI & AD)
- Waiting too long to perform a C-Section
- Administering too much Pitocin
- Untreated jaundice and kernicterus
- Failure to respond to signs and symptoms of a uterine rupture
- Misreading of the fetal monitor
- Failure to respond to signs of a placental abruption
- Failure to detect a severe brain defect on prenatal ultrasound film
- Failure to respond to severe dehydration in a newborn
- Failure to perform a timely delivery
- Failure to obtain medical experts to support labor and delivery
If you have experienced any of the above during the birthing and delivery process, medical negligence could have been the cause.
No family should have to endure the struggles of CP knowing were it not for mistakes made by the medical staff, their child could be living without a disability. As parents of children with CP, we know of the immense financial burden caused by medical negligence. Our journey to find justice and financial compensation began with checking our medical records for signs of medical errors. If you believe your child's CP was caused by malpractice, you should check your records.
CPFN Stories and Testimonials
Hundreds of families have found justice and financial compensation, and we want to share a few of those stories with you.
“We suspected medical mistakes and birth injuries were to blame for our child’s cerebral palsy, and knew we needed legal help. JJS Justice found the answers to our questions and won settlements that will take care of our child for the rest of our lives.”